Let this date then -- Nov. 22, the day on which, four years ago, Florida tipped irrevocably -- be one of remembrance, but also of hope, and of re-dedication to the long and difficult fight which awaits us.
To show due reverence for the horror foretold by the great pogrom of Nov. 8, 1938, I should in fact say Kristallnacht writ small. But the death of a great democracy is no small thing either; and let us not give short shrift to events of Nov. 22, 2000 -- the day of the so called bourgeois riot -- when a platoon of Republican thugs invaded the canvassing board of Dade County, Florida, and by violence halted the ballot re-count then going forward -- thereby effectively squelching the chance that Al Gore's Florida vote tally would ever surpass George Bush's.
My point is this: those of us who take seriously the possibility of our beloved America slipping in Fascism, must search out a signal event, and make of it a rallying cry -- a meme if you will -- with which to help resist the onset of the single party corporatist state. And I must here re-assure my readers that however Green my rhetoric, I am neither Green, nor Socialist, but loyal Democrat, and in fact, a well functioning cog in the wheel of Capitalist free enterprise. But, as noted elsewhere, the presidency of Ronald Reagan was for me the first real indicator of the fragility American democracy, and the first real warning that it could -- under the influence of skillful enough demagoguery -- be supplanted by a homegrown totalitarianism which I have come to call "Apple Pie Fascism."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by magnetics
- or liberty, or the flag. I didn't serve for the reasons people think of when they tell me, "Thanks for your service." I knew that this war was not about any of that stuff. I served for 365 days ...183 comments 337 Recs
- This is my first "diary" here at Daily Kos. I don't know if this post is appropriate for this site. It is more a collection of musings and questions than a presentation of facts and information. I ...99 comments 160 Recs
- appears on p. 158 of the new book by former CIA #2 Michael Morrell, a book titled The Great War of Our Time: The CIA's Against Terrorism From Al Qaeda to ISIS . It is in the context of the planning ...285 comments 202 Recs
- Democratic Senators Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Joe Manchin of West Virginia introduced S.1381 on May 19, 2015, which would have required President Obama to de-classify the Trans Pacific ...34 comments 36 Recs
- The 2014 elections produced many interesting and unusual results. A prime example of this involves the states of New Hampshire and Maine. New Hampshire is generally considered to be the most ...54 comments 29 Recs
- Reading this list from the Wisconsin DHS https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p4/p44578.pdf just makes me angrier the more I look at it. It's inconsistent (you can buy fresh sweet potatoes/...133 comments 178 Recs
- Earlier today, the Israeli press reported that Palestinian and Israeli passengers on buses to the West Bank would be segregated as part of a "three month trial" starting today. The proposal had been ...95 comments 87 Recs
- Two women await the results of a referendum banning fracking in Denton, Texas, last November. The city's ...67 comments 68 Recs
- Frankly, I never dreamed that when I posted a diary here during the Bush years titled "Listen up, Whistleblowers!" it would end up on the Wikileaks page, ( Link ) much less, still be relevant during ...71 comments 170 Recs
- Originally published in Tikkun Daily A major in Israel's infantry, who fought in the Northern Gaza Strip during Israel's assault in the summer of 2014, talks of devastation. He talks of endless ...83 comments 208 Recs
- No current results.