Let this date then -- Nov. 22, the day on which, four years ago, Florida tipped irrevocably -- be one of remembrance, but also of hope, and of re-dedication to the long and difficult fight which awaits us.
To show due reverence for the horror foretold by the great pogrom of Nov. 8, 1938, I should in fact say Kristallnacht writ small. But the death of a great democracy is no small thing either; and let us not give short shrift to events of Nov. 22, 2000 -- the day of the so called bourgeois riot -- when a platoon of Republican thugs invaded the canvassing board of Dade County, Florida, and by violence halted the ballot re-count then going forward -- thereby effectively squelching the chance that Al Gore's Florida vote tally would ever surpass George Bush's.
My point is this: those of us who take seriously the possibility of our beloved America slipping in Fascism, must search out a signal event, and make of it a rallying cry -- a meme if you will -- with which to help resist the onset of the single party corporatist state. And I must here re-assure my readers that however Green my rhetoric, I am neither Green, nor Socialist, but loyal Democrat, and in fact, a well functioning cog in the wheel of Capitalist free enterprise. But, as noted elsewhere, the presidency of Ronald Reagan was for me the first real indicator of the fragility American democracy, and the first real warning that it could -- under the influence of skillful enough demagoguery -- be supplanted by a homegrown totalitarianism which I have come to call "Apple Pie Fascism."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by magnetics
- 155 comments 288 Recs
- You probably don't want to hear this but California is using water left from fracking to water cropsYes, it's the waste water left over from fracking. The fracking liquid that contains chemicals we don't know about. This is the kind of idiocy posing as one solution to the California man-...120 comments 176 Recs
- The lovely month of May is upon us, when a young (hearted) critter's fancy turns to whatever a young heart fancies. In the case of pooties, it's often...Fancy Feast.122 comments 93 Recs
- It's time to do some celebrating. We have been planning this for a while.64 comments 97 Recs
- They say a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun. Apparently that doesn't apply to women. . . . A Texas (where else) teenager (fourteen) showed up behind Pasadena High School for a ...47 comments 27 Recs
- Those of you who ...50 comments 78 Recs
- Freddie Gray being loaded into a van by Baltimore Police On April 12th, six Baltimore police officers assaulted Freddie Gray and took him on something I'll admit I've never heard of ...242 comments 337 Recs
- Those of you who ...111 comments 63 Recs
- There are times when the media really does their best to sicken us all. This ...142 comments 341 Recs
- Bloods and Crips uniting and disputing the claims of the Baltimore Police Yesterday, immediately after the funeral of Freddie Gray, the Baltimore Police Department released an ...251 comments 274 Recs
- No current results.